Monday, May 10, 2010

Ladies, what about married life appeals or discourages you?

I was simply wondering how women in today鈥檚 society feel about the advent of marriage. Why do you choose to (or not choose to) establish a marriage with someone?Ladies, what about married life appeals or discourages you?
I love my husband. We wanted a child. ';Married life'; is not the only way to raise a child, it may not even be the best way, but (in the U.S.) it is the most accepted.Ladies, what about married life appeals or discourages you?
There was a certain point where it was just a gut feeling, knowing that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with my hubby and that for me meant marriage. So, now for the logical reasons why:


- we want to have kids


- we want that assurance that the other will stick with us even when times are tough. My hubby and I dealt with both being laid off and health issues within the first year of marriage


- it helps to makes sure both people have the same degree of commitment to a relationship


- we want others to know that we have this degree of commitment to each other


- ';our'; stuff and ';our'; chores become one when married - this one is kind of hard to explain


- various legal reasons (who gets to make decisions when the other is in the hospital, who inherits property/debt)


- other reasons, but I figure I should end this part of the list





Discourages


- terrified of divorce. I was less worried about the financial impact and more worried about the emotional. Hopefully I will never have to experience that though.


- A loss of freedom. I don't have to ask my hubby for permission for everything, but because I love him and I know he might want some input on some of my decisions, there are some things I can not choose to do on a whim


- fear that the other person will change into a person you no longer love





I did get married. For me, the good feelings of saying forever outweighed the fear of forever.
I don't see anything appealing about marriage. I hated the sexist assumptions that are associated with marriage, the stereotypes are endless that you deal with from strangers, acquaintances, co-workers, family members...the only people who don't say absolutely stupid things to you are your friends.





I don't know how many strangers thought they had the right to ask me if I was going to have children, assumed all sorts of things about sexist roles that my partner and I were suppose to be doing (according to them), and the shock when I resented their incredibly intrusive and insulting questions. If I just had to deal with my friends, it'd be ok, but dealing with the sexism in our society is too much. What upset folks? I don't cook, don't want kids, could care less about housekeeping, and don't care much about things that ';women'; are suppose to. I don't comment on these people's choices, I don't understand the need of others to constantly comment on my choices, whether I want to hear them or not.
I just think I would end up doing all the grunt work, or nagging him on a daily basis to get things done - not my idea of happiness! I live living on my own as no-one is creating extra work for me or expecting me to be responsible for their actions. Plus, marriage has always seemed to me like a patriarchal / religious trap that takes more than it gives to women. Especially if you don't want kids, it all seems a bit pointless :-)
Married life appeals to me. I suppose that is one of the old-fashioned strands that still holds true to me. I view it as a culmination and union of two people. You have strength in commitment and unity. Through hardships and good times you have someone by your side. I've always wanted to grow old with my husband and cherish all the times we've shared together.





I'm not married yet, but in a very committed relationship where we are planning to get married in the coming years.
I would consider marriage but unfortunately in todays financial standards i would only marry someone of the same credit score and rating as myself- i have worked too hard to have someone else come along and muck up my chance of buying a house or taking a business loan. Or having to pay a marriage tax- because I plan on not having children- so i marry and get taxed or stay single and live tax free? These are all the things i consider when thinking of marriage- as of yet I have still not met anyone to fit the bill entirely- very close but indeed these are high standards - not sure if it will ever happen.
I'm NEVER going to get married!...the thought petrifies me!


I just couldn't spend the rest of my life with someone...they would bug me....i like my own space...and just really don't want to share my life with some one like that.....Ive seen what marriage has done to people haha! and i really don't want to turn into them people. I also what to put my heart and soul into a career and not someone else...it's just how i am...


Not that i judge people who are married...i admire people who are in a loving marriage...but it's just not for me
I prefer having a boyfriend and living separately. I have been married, and it was fine, but I tend to want more alone time than is afforded in marriage.
What discourages me is to attach your life to someone else, I mean, to take desitions based in other person's life. Is a bit selfish scare, I know.
I refuse to marry on the following grounds:





1. Nobody needs to get married when they're already in a relationship with someone who loves them.


2. Because I said so, dammit.
I've been married twice and can attest to the fact that marriage can ruin a good friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment