Tuesday, May 11, 2010

If I get married out of state, does that affect my tax filing in any way?

In other words, will I only have to pay taxes for the state where I am employed, and not where I filed my marriage certificate?





Do the community property vs common law tax rules apply for state of residence or state of the marriage certificate?If I get married out of state, does that affect my tax filing in any way?
My parents got married out of country and nobody quibbled about it.





Community property is accumulated in community property states. Where you got married makes no difference.If I get married out of state, does that affect my tax filing in any way?
Where you are married is irrelevant. Being legally married is relevant. You file MFJ or MFS if you are married on 12/31/08. About 10 states are community property states, and doesn't matter where you were married if you reside there, that applies.





Basically where you were married is irrelevant for most purposes. Unless it is a type of marriage not recognized by your state. IRS does not recognize same sex unions, nor do many states.
Location of the marriage is totally irrelevant ,


Texas , Alaska , France or Thailand .


Married is married .





You pay taxes in the state where you work and if you are married ,


You file as married .





Property and tax rules apply to the state of residence ,


Regardless of where you get married .





%26gt;
No, getting married out of state doesn't affect your taxes.





The state where you live determines if you are in a community property state, not where you got married.
The state where you actually get married is irrelevant as long as it is a legal marriage recognized by your own state.

No comments:

Post a Comment