Thursday, May 13, 2010

Why did some of my friends stop calling after I got married and had a baby?

I guess they think I'm a wet blanket or something, I plan on asking them but I thought I'd ask you all first. Did they stop hanging out with me to give me time with my family or are they too busy for me?Why did some of my friends stop calling after I got married and had a baby?
Maybe they didn't want to bother you. Being a parent is a very demanding job and yes, they may have decided you should have more time with family. Also, they probably think that it's harder for you to go out because you have to find a baby sitter....if none of them have children, maybe they feel it'll be harder to relate to you and what you're going through, so they haven't called to discuss it...Why did some of my friends stop calling after I got married and had a baby?
Maybe you are not as flexible as you used to be? If they are spontaneous, they may have called you once, twice, three times wanting to hang out with you - but if you weren't available, it became too difficult for them to schedule time with you.





Or maybe they feel that they don't have as much in common with you anymore; you may not even notice this, but your life probably very much revolves around your child, and you probably talk a lot about the baby - which is not the most interesting topic of conversation for people who don't have kids.





Also, just in general, once you get married, your priority shifts from your friends to your family; it's natural to spend less time with your friends - especially if they're still single. It's a different lifestyle. If you want to hang out with your friends, maybe you will have to initiate contact and suggest things to do together. Best idea, when you're a family, is to make friends with other families.
You may have noticed that a marriage and a baby DO take a bit of one's time.





They're probably assuming you're too busy, or too entranced with your new baby, which is natural and a common thing.





It's possible some of them think that you no longer have much in common. If so, that's a shame.





So, the thing to do is to call each one, and say how you've missed her, and arrange to get together.





You might also consider having them over (together or individually), to hang out with you AND the baby. There's no reason to have to segregate the people in your life from each other.
Hello %26amp; congratulations on your marriage %26amp; new baby! I think the best thing to do is just ask your friends. I think speculating about it doesn't really get you the answers %26amp; get you back to socializing with your friends. However, if I were to guess I would say that perhaps they want to respect boundaries by giving you more time with your husband %26amp; new baby. Now that you're married %26amp; have a child maybe they feel that they can't just pop over to see you because you probably have your hands full %26amp; you're busy with your day-to-day life. Also, if you %26amp; your friends were social at bars/clubs they might think that you don't want to go to those types of places now because you're married. If your friends are single %26amp; they go out clubbing or to pubs that might be why. And, there might be some kind of jealousy working too: Are your friends single? Do they want to be? Do these friends want children? Maybe you have what they want: child, husband %26amp; family. Who knows, it could be anything. All that being said, there are so many reasons that they could be a bit distant %26amp; I think the best way to find out is to come out and ask.
';sweetie'; when you get married much less have a child all your time is devoted to your family and you should not hang out all the time with old friends. maybe they could be jealous of your new lifestyle and honestly you dont need to be hanging around single friends all the time and you have a mate. in most cases that could cause problems in your marriage. iam not saying just neglect your freinds and be mean and think your all that now that your married, but after a while you husband might get tired of that and find that a interference with your marriage.
I doubt any of your friends have decided that you're a bore now and they don't want to hang out with you, and unless your friends are very shallow, they aren't jealous.


People just get busy in their own lives, and when your lives are really different, you have to make an extra effort to keep in touch. In planning your wedding and going through the early stages of your marriage, you had to put nearly all (or ALL) of your time and energy into your husband instead of your friends. Now that you have a child, even more of your energy is taken up at home. BUT it's also incredibly important for you to spend time with your single girl friends, now more than ever! They'll keep you feeling refreshed and energized and socialized! (It can get really lonely staying home with a baby!) Don't expect to go out to the club every weekend with a gang of halter-topped hotties, but do make an effort to stay connected to two or three of your best gal pals. Call them up and make plans. Maybe arrange a ';ladies' night'; when you can catch up with them and your hubby can spend some bonding time with the little one. Try to make it a regular thing -- twice a month or something like that. I'm sure your single friends are missing you and will be delighted to hear from you!


Good luck!
I would suggest that when you do get together that you share, but don't share too much. If your friend is single, they want to hear about what's new with you, but don't want to hear you go on and on about your new life. Not all single people are jealous of married people with kids. I would talk about the things that you spoke of before you got married and had a baby.
I've been that guy who's stopped calling, but it was only after repeated attempts to hang out with my friends. It got to the point where I could predict the answer before I even called. I understood the baby was more than time consuming, so I basically left it up to my friends with kids to contact me when they could go out. This proved to be a bad idea, because basically all of them that I stopped calling, they don't ever call me. I've never been ';too busy'; to hang out with my married/parent friends, but that's just me.





A word of advice; keeping friends is a two way street. You have a phone as well. Make it known when you have a sitter and a free weekend, I'm sure your friends will be available.






They probably think that you're too busy for them, and they probably know how taxing a baby can be.





Why don't you take the plunge and call them?


They'll get the hint after you call some of them a couple of times and mention that you've got a baby-sitter or something like that.


They're probably waiting for you to say that you aren't busy.
1) They probably figure you are busy with your little one


2) You now have less in common with them, having a baby takes up alot of time and they don't have the same experiences. You want to talk about feeding and burping and sleeping and diapers and they are just lost and have no input or interest.


3) Everyone changes as they get older and move different directions. My best friend in HS and College and Scouts I hardly speak to, only e-mail now, we are just different people
If they are single and you are married, you no longer have anything in common. Their priorties are going to be very different then yours. Surely, you'll get the occasional phone call asking how your doing, but you can just consider yourself right out of that social circle.





Dont be discouraged.. the same thing happens with guys.
This didn't happen to me when I got married, but after I had a baby it did. Do your friends have children?, if yes are they around the same age?


If your friends don't have children, they may not call because they no longer relate to you in the same way. If they do have children that are a different age they may understand that it is difficult to know when to call. They also may understand that children at different ages have different kinds of activities, ones that you and your family are not ready for yet.





My friends dropped off the face of the earth when I had my baby. I call them, and I arrange days out. I asked my friends point blank why they didn't call anymore. I got a few different responses, but the overall response was....we didn't want to disturb you.


Another thing is, is babies are distracting. It's tough to hang out with someone and their baby if you don't have one. You never really get their undivided attention.





So let your friends know you miss them, and you still want to hang out, and now NEED to hang out. Don't be angry with them, just let them know that it hurts that they don't call you.





I arrange movie theatre, and dinners out so I can hang with my friends.





Good Luck!
sometimes it just comes down to you and your friends being in different areas of you lives. Maybe they don'tt feel like that have that much in common to talk to you about? Mysuggestionn would be to not outright ask them as to why they have not called but for you to call and suggest getting together because you miss them
I had the same problem. I chalk most of it up to jealousy and being at different places in your lives that make it difficult to relate. After some of my friends started getting married and having kids, they suddenly wanted to talk again. I think it was painful for them to see that I had what they wanted.
well...you are now married and with a kid....so..I would ask you to


call your friends...only once a month or every other month...and invite them out to your house ..or to dinner etc....but do not expect them behaving the same ..ok...for they single and you are married...that just


the way things are..ok
Maybe they are waiting for you to call them with a new husband and a baby they might know you are busy and are waiting for an invitation. Why not just call and invite them over and let them know you still want them to be in your life.
A new marriage and new baby can be over whelming. Call them and make a ';girl date'; Have them over for some snack and chit chat so you can reconnect. As a new mother you are going to need some adult conversation...Elmo and Barney will wear you out!
it might be the contrary actually...when my friend got married and had a kid, it seems like she was too busy for us...So we thought, once she has time SHE will come to us. And it happens she was blaming us and saying we abandoned her. Go figure!
Maybe they thought you could be too busy with a baby. Call them and invite them somewhere to show them your not too busy for them. Maybe they thought you wanted time with your new baby. I doubt they are too busy for you.
I'm hoping they just wanted to give the both of you a little space. I say that because when I got married and when I had all four of my children my friends were right there with us each an every time.
I'm kind of going through this myself..what I've found is: you're in a different place in your life and your friends can't relate. It's a shame they don't make an effort but I feel your pain...hang in there!!
the single life and the married life (with kids) are fundementally diferent. That's why usually people get a whole new cast of friends who are married once they get married.
It could be because you no longer have any thing in common or they weren't your real friends to start with.
the prolly dont want to bother u becuz u have too much on your plate takin care of a baby n all y dont u just clal them and ask them to hang out and show em that u have time for them
well you are married with a baby!!! and they are not... either they are just jealous,,, or they think you already have a lot going on and might not have time.. either one of those two.. you know your friends better than anyone here

No comments:

Post a Comment