Tuesday, May 11, 2010

If I get married in Vegas, my marriage can't be registered in Pennsylvania, where I live. What does that mean?

According to information from the City's website, if married outside Pennsylvania, your marriage is not registered in the State, nor can it be. What are the implications, if any? I want a church wedding later on in PA after an annulment is granted from a previous marriage; will I be able to do that in PA after eloping in Vegas?If I get married in Vegas, my marriage can't be registered in Pennsylvania, where I live. What does that mean?
It means your marriage is registered in Las Vegas. You will be considered married in PA due to the ';full faith and credit'; clause of the US Constitution which says ';states within the United States have to respect the 'public acts, records, and judicial proceedings' of other states.';





You need have your prior marriage dissolved (through divorce or annulment) PRIOR to getting married in Vegas, otherwise your marriage in Vegas will be illegal and thus null and void in PA. (and may open the door to lots of legal issues)





As to having a Church Wedding. You can have a religious wedding as many times as you want as long as the church is willing to do so. In terms of the law it's not the religious ceremony that is the legal contract, although the legal may be incorporated in to it. Many people ';renew voes'; through out life.





I hope this works out better for you.If I get married in Vegas, my marriage can't be registered in Pennsylvania, where I live. What does that mean?
Your marriage is registered in Nevada. If you want to get married again after a divorce or annulment than you get a license and get married where ever you want.
Try asking the city clerk or town clerk in your jurisdiction. They may be able to advise you as to the implications, if any.

No comments:

Post a Comment