Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Is it legal for me (an American citizen) to get married to my fiance in Germany and then again in the US?

I have dual citizenship with the US and Germany. My fiance is a German citizen. We currently are applying for the K1 fiance visa. However, we really want to get married in Germany, but then live in the US. We would have just gotten married in Germany, but we were informed that it would take much longer for him to be allowed to live in the US if we did that and the fiance visa would be faster. My question is whether we can be legally married in both Germany and the US. I don't want to wait for the visa to be approved. I want to get married to him in Germany and then when it is approved get married in the US. I'm guessing it isn't legal, but I really wish/hope it is.Is it legal for me (an American citizen) to get married to my fiance in Germany and then again in the US?
If you legally marry first in Germany, then you are no longer eligible for the K-1 and your K-1 visa will be denied and you will have filed it for nothing. Remember there are intensive security checks involved with getting a visa, and your legal marriage in Germany WILL be discovered. And never, never, never lie on immigration forms or to a Consular officer, it is considered fraud!





What you can do however, is have a non-legal wedding ceremony in Germany if your main reason for wanting it in Germany is so that family can be in attendance. That means, go through the whole ceremony, but do not apply for any type of marriage licenses, or other documentation that would make the marriage legal and make sure the person conducting the ceremony understands that the ceremony is not a legal marriage. Then once the K-1 visa is approved, get legally married in the US. Many couples go this route.Is it legal for me (an American citizen) to get married to my fiance in Germany and then again in the US?
Yes, I hear of people getting married in 2 different countries to the same person all of the time.
Of Course it is legal. The US recognizes marriages from other countries as they recognize ours... People remarry each other for all sorts of reasons...it's your money...
yes
well yes and no. My fiance' is in So. Korea and we have the same dilemma in reverse. So what I found out is that you do one of two things. Get married in Germany but apply for the K-1 and do not admit to being married or get the K-1 first get marred here and then go to Germany and get married again. Your marriage in Germany is legal and if you do get married there you cannot apply for a K-1 visa. I was going to get married in Canada but after I found out how hard it would be to get a immigrant visa we changed our minds and are just getting the K-1 first. Hope that helps...And GOOD LUCK!!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment