Thursday, January 21, 2010

Why is getting married a goal for so many people?

Why do so many people feel like they need to be in a permanent relationship?





Why is getting married a goal for so many people?
Dont know it was a huge mistake for me


tWhy is getting married a goal for so many people?
i agree in terms of as this life is full of transitions anyway, why do people feel the need to cling to one person forever? it also annoys me when people completely discount all of their past relationships as if they meant nothing and hold up one person as the single ';love of their life'; while i believe in monogamy (just not lifelong), i think this is ridiculous as who was right for you when you were 16 is unlikely to be the same person who's right for you at say, 30. does this mean you should discount them?? not at all. personally i think that while it's good to be selective, you learn something different from most relationships and while i don't agree with being with someone just for the sex, i can understand people who are single having flings, as sometimes you jsut click with someone completely at that moment in your life. despite how romanticised it is (and not saying it can't be romantic) i really think lifelong monogamy, like how the Bible teaches is overrated. for a start it leaves no room for growth and change in personality and interests. yet at the same time, i believe in loving the person you're with to the best of your ability and giving them commitment, until you both decide it's time to move on. i love being single, yet i would say that the majority of kids are happier when their parents are married or in a ';permanent'; relationship, hence what makes me feel i probably wouldn't be the best person to have kids..
I always thought I would never get married. I ended up re-meeting the guy who gave me my first kiss in grade school, and we fell in love and got married.


I always thought it could never be me, but I always wanted to have that special love, you know the one where the elderly couple is sitting in the park together and they still hold hands after decades of marriage?


However, I don't think it should be the goal of your entire existence.
Any number of reasons: upbringing, social conventions, familial expectations, fear of being alone, desire to raise a family, a misguided attempt to save a doomed relationship.





Personally I never saw it as a goal, but rather as an option that I could take if it seemed desirable, like moving to a new city, or taking a new job, or going for my masters, or whatever.
im in a permanent relationship and we are not married, we plan to get married, some day, but we are happy as is





its a declaration of love, to each other, its a joining of you and another person who you believe you will love forever and they will love you forever


a lot of the time it doesnt work out that way, but the intent is still there


because thats just what we think is necesary and important in our lives, to ourselves and our society


interaction with other people is an important part of our lives and society





also there are a few legal issues that are more beneficial if you are married instead of living together
For Christians:


1. Being sexually repressed for their entire lives since puberty


2. Lack of intimacy in their unmarried life (which in part is responsible for creating a dependence on belief in a God)


3. Being told that lust of any kind outside of marriage is a sin





For everyone else:


1. Increases financial security


2. The culture promotes ';ideal relationships'; and defines marriage as the culmination of one


3. Serves as a means of binding oneself legally to someone they (hopefully) love and trust enough to last them for the rest of their lives





You know, I REALLY gotta wonder why I get thumbs down for this. I'm not even being sarcastic.
Most humans crave companionship. A few are blessed with the gift to not desire this.
Because of their religious upbringing.





In some cultures getting married to a number of women is a good thing. In others it is not.





Back in the day some cultures used little boys for sex objects and women were only used for procreation.





oh how morality changes over the years.
{{{{{{{{LINZ}}}}}}}} LTNS





I've wondered that before too. I'm happily married, but I didn't get married until I was almost 28. All my friends were rushing in and getting married in their early 20's. My mom's generation felt like you were a nobody unless you were married [that applied to women]. 'Course, she WAS from Huntington... ;-)


%26lt;%26gt;%26lt;
I never dreamed of marriage, but I can not imagine living without my wife now. It is just another stage of life I see nothing wrong with people who never get married but My family my wife and daughters are what I needed to make myself a better man. Just my little version of events. Atheist here by the way.
Linz, I love the companionship, the love, the trust, the service to give, the friendship. the happiness, the dynamic. the sex (with no disease). A great marriage is heaven on earth. It took effort, compromise, scoldings from my wife, but I am there.
Insecurity?, fear of freedom? Many people just get married because they want to. Geese, don't make it more complicated then it is. The Majority really don't feel like they need to get married, they want to get married.
In many ways it's cheaper. Health care coverage, for one thing.Also, having the right to be next of kin if something happens to your loved one. I never intended to get married, but I must say, I do love it.
have you tried temporary relationships?


they don't have such a good impact...





Marriage.





It is the natural way of things.





We are designed for it.





It is good





It's from God





EDIT -





Besides, kids are permanent.
The Yangs need their Yin.





There's a certain level of stability that can bring to a person's life.





Though I guess some people do it quickly for the sake of financial stability.





I guess there are many reasons.
Good question, I don't see the need to get married so early in life though when the divorce rate is about 50%. I guess because they would like to start families and don't want to have bastard children.
It provides some legal benefits. That would be my reason.





There is also having the feeling of a bond becoming tighter until you figure out that marriage means chains and love isn't eternal.
hahahaha......hahahahaaaaaaaa........haa鈥?for my friend hahahahaaahaahahahahaaaaa....he's 19......hahahaaaahaaaahahahahaaaa......l鈥?jk......i was one of the grooms men. He loves his wife. She's pregnant and I'm there to back them up.
Dunno.





I'd prefer to never get married. Married is nothing more than a social status, one doesn't have to be married in order to love someone.
We're social, and most of us don't want to be alone. I also think that some people want to get married because it implies that they've found true love in their lives.
Depends on the person but if you find the person who makes you whole why look elsewhere .
I have no idea. I was married one time and that was enough for me..I had a huge wedding which was fun but as soon as I said I do I felt like I was enslaving myself. Independence is a much better route.
There is nothing better than a stable and loving family!
Loneliness
To have love and have kids









They like a sense of *security, which isn't fail-safe. It's certainly not one of mine!!
insecurity
Maybe they're just lonely and want someone to share their life with.
Because they're sheep and they want to be like everyone else.
Because some of us have respect for ourselves, Morals, Values.
because humans have a natural urge to be coupled together

No comments:

Post a Comment